
Former Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra on Wednesday launched a bid for California governor, joining a growing field of candidates looking to replace term-limited Gov. Gavin Newsom (D).
“As AG I took on Trump – and won. As HHS Secretary, I took on Big Pharma — and won. It’s time to do it again for California,” Becerra said in a post on social platform X announcing his campaign. “Let’s rebuild the California Dream for everyone.”
Becerra previously spent twelve terms representing the Golden State in the House and served as California’s state attorney general before former President Biden tapped him to lead HHS, becoming the first Latino to hold the office.
He now joins Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis (D), former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, former state Senate Leader Toni Atkins (D) and former state Controller Betty Yee (D) in the growing group of Democratic primary contenders. Former Rep. Katie Porter (D-Calif.) also jumped in last month.
But some political observers have seen the field as effectively frozen by the question of whether former Vice President Harris, whom Becerra worked with under the Biden administration, will join the race.
California Attorney General Rob Bonta (D) in February decided against a run for governor and told Politico he’d support Harris if she ran, saying her candidacy “would be field-clearing.”